Monday, February 24, 2020

"Spirit of Offense" (How do you react?)


Hey y'all! Today, I want to address a topic we discussed in Bible Study a few weeks ago but that I also found myself experiencing. The topic was the "spirit of offense". We have all fallen into the deadly trap of offense; not one is exempt. Either we have offended or someone has offended us. Whatever the offense was or who committed it, how did you react to it? The enemy wants you to wallow in the offense because he knows it can kill. We all know that is his mission for our lives. But Jesus warns us about this in Luke 17.

Then He said to the disciples, “It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” (Luke 17:1-4 NKJV)

 I recently found myself in this position because I was not invited to a birthday celebration of someone I thought was more like family than friends. When I saw pictures from the celebration I immediately got on the offense. Because neither I was told nor invited by anyone else there that I knew. I even picked up the phone to call the individual to say happy birthday but mainly to give them a piece of my mind. When there was no answer, the Holy Spirit said you were not supposed to have been there anyway. So, get over it! I then thought, well that was the truth. You see I believe everything happens for a reason. If my presence was desired, I would have gotten an invitation. It doesn't mean that I'm not loved or liked. I decided that I wasn't going to give in to the enemy and let the thought of offense take up any space in my mind or my spirit. I moved on from it.

I want to save you some grief and from the spirit of offense. If a situation arises, think on the word of God that says "Great peace have those who love Your law [Word], and nothing causes them to stumble." (Psalm 119:165NKJV) Don't allow yourself to stumble into the spirit of offense. Instead, find peace when you show others the same love God shows you. When you forgive those who offend you, you can walk in God's peace that surpasses all understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment