Monday, January 13, 2020

Me, Myself & I: Selfishness


It's a great day to love on someone!

We have all either used or heard the phrase "Me, Myself & I"! If you think about each word, they can easily grow into a spirit of selfishness and pride. No one likes being around a person who is self-centered; always thinking of themselves. Prideful, always boasting about what they have or what they have done. A person who rarely shares with others, but may have a lot. A person who just seem to have that Me, Myself & I attitude, it's not a great person to have in your presence. Well, let me speak for myself...LOL.

Selfishness is defined as, "a self-centered is concern for oneself, without due regard to the needs of others". (Biblegateway) It is said to be an expert of sin and a characteristic of a sinner. Plus, selfishness doesn't please God.

There are several scriptures that reference selfishness, but I wanted to focus on Romans 8:5 in the Amplified version. Bear with me because it is a little lengthy. It states, "For those who are living according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh [which gratify the body], but those who are living according to the Spirit, [set their minds on] the things of the Spirit [His will and purpose]."

That thing hit me! When I read the Scripture, it brought the phrase me myself and I to mind. I asked God to forgive me for my selfish behavior. I asked God to show me areas of my life where I'm being selfish and where he's not pleased. I even thought about "Me Time", there is no me time as I'm never alone because God is always with me.

Do you get where I'm coming from? If not, give it some thought the next time you think of saying "Me, Myself & I". Now, go and have yourself an amazing and unselfish week!

3 comments:

  1. I understand this post. Many people will disagree, but when you understand kingdom work, you realize it's not about me, myself and I. Our work is to help others know Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Angel you get exactly where I am coming from. This is a job for all of us...each one teach one and bring them closer to Jesus!

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing read when I read this and pondered over it me, myself, and I. Me, myself being of a sinful nature is always hostile to God it never did obey God's laws and it never will... I Am (God) of that same nature is always controlled by God because of the spirit of God that lives in us. I'm a firm believer in what ever nature we feed the most is what will come out. If sin rules us; me, myself it will most inevitably ruin us. If I Am ruled by the spirit of God I will always move according to the fruit of the spirit that resides in me free selfless and unashamed to do the will of God.

    ReplyDelete