Monday, October 7, 2019

Smudging, Biblical or Not?

Pic courtesy of Smudging-101

Good day! I often hear people burning incense or sage, walking through their homes with the hope and purpose of cleaning or getting rid of evil spirits or negative energy. Sage burning or smudging, as it is also called, is defined as a ritual used to cleanse a space or environment from negative energy, generate wisdom and clarity, and promote healing. Some people even smudge their bodies.

There is no sin in burning incense or sage or any other herb or spices. As a matter of fact, the Levites burned oils and incense at the alter of God, giving the Lord a sweet aroma. "And he shall bring it to Aaron's sons the priests: and he shall take there out his handful of the flour thereof, and of the oil thereof, with all the frankincense thereof; and the priest shall burn the memorial of it upon the altar, to be an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord:" Leviticus 2:2 KJV. However, there is no scripture proof that sage or smudging performs the things one has belief it does. I don't believe that smoke from an incense, sage or any other object provides healing and protection of ones home or self. Even though this ritual may be done with good intentions, it is not biblical.


The Bible tells us that God, Jehovah Nissi, protects His children from evil. We are not to trust in human-made rituals but instead to trust in our Savior, God. He is a refuge, our source of life and protection. In His word God promises, "The Lord will keep you from harm - He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore" Psalms 121:7-8. If I missed something, please tell me.


One Love, 

Valerie

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic! I noticed WAY more people saging homes/bodies over the past five years. It's always important to remain rooted in a strong foundation so that all actions align with your beliefs. I wonder if there are groups of people who use sage in the same way as Catholic ceremonies with the thurible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jolye, thanks for commenting. Yes, I've noticed the same and wondered if this is in Bible. Thus, this post is a result of my studies. I read that the thurible is also used by some Freemasonry when consecrating new lodges. I don't knock anyone that does it, let me clear the air. I just know that my belief is in the word of God. Enjoy your day & weekend beautiful!

    ReplyDelete